Monday, March 02, 2009

Fun with Bridges






Ethan and I are currently learning about bridges together. I didn't know much about these structures before we started. I can't say I have ever had a huge interest in them or really even noticed them except to make sure they were sturdy enough when I had to pass over one. So thus far, this has been a really neat study for the both of us. Last week, we started out by discussing the forces at work on a bridge Both kids enjoyed building bridges out of blocks. We also made various paper building structures like arches and tested how many paper clips the different ones could hold. I don't think I got any pictures of that. This weekend we went with Clint on a leadership retreat to Shawnigan Lake outside of Victoria. On Saturday, Clint accompanied Malcolm and Ethan along with some others from the retreat up to a trussle bridge. (Laurel and I had to turn back because her shoes were not snow worthy and we were having to walk most of the way in the snow.) So we missed out on this adventure, but by the pictures, it was way cool. So today, Ethan and I built a similar bridge from craft sticks. We also were finally able to make our Roman-like rock arch from play dough and rocks.

No comments: