Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Operation Christmas Child




The kids and I went shopping this morning for Christmas presents to fill 2 shoeboxes to send to a couple of children via Samaritan's Purse. Our church is participating this year, but I have also done this with my kids at TCA in years past. It is a great way to give them a hands-on opportunity to love someone else, and to begin to understand a little about world poverty. It was a joy to see them choose items that they would like having and to see them get excited about sharing it with another kid. After we got home and packed the boxes, Ethan and Laurel each wrote a letter to the recipient of their box. I hope the children who receive them are as blessed by the boxes as we were in putting them together.

3 comments:

Amy said...

We did this this year, too. Noah had sort of a hard time with the idea of getting something he liked and giving it to someone else, but the girls really got into it. I was really proud of Halle as, at one point, she just turned to me and said, "I'm really glad we have the life we have."

sandy said...

I had to smile as Ethan would say something like, "let's get this for my boy" or Laurel would say, "I want to get my girl a bear." It was like they were parents for these kids. And on a similar note, our Sunday school supports a little girl from an African country called Kabubu sp? Last year Ethan talked about Edith from Kabubu all the time and I totally thought he was talking about an imaginary friend. (did not make the connection with church)And I had never heard of a place called Kabubu. One Sunday morning I was subbing for another teacher and a lady comes in and tells me about the donation box for Edith from Kabubu. I laughed so hard. And was relieved that Ethan didn't have an imaginary friend.

Amy said...

Edith from Kabubu--I love it!!